Born: January 16th, 2008 at 5:43pm Weight: 7 pounds 9 ounces Length: 21 inches

Thursday, January 17, 2008

Labor Day...


Well...yesterday we were quite busy all day long. We checked in at 8am to get induced. After getting settled in a room and getting through the paperwork, we finally started the Pitocin at 10:30am. As they increased the dosage at 10-15 minute intervals, at around noon I had a HUGE jump in contraction frequency and pain that I hadn't prepared for. I was told to let them know as the pain was getting to a point of intolerance with about a 20 minute heads up as to when I would hit my threshold. Ummm, the pain went from a 3 to an 8 on the "happy scale" in a matter of about 5 minutes, so there was no warning time. Unfortunately, it also took the tech and anesthesiologist 30 minutes to get to me, so I relied on my wonderful husband to get me through. The nurse also turned back down the Pitocin, so the frequency and pain slowly reduced.

First of all, let me say that the epidural is now my all-time favorite invention, despite an unforgettable experience getting it placed...TWICE. Not only do you have to get in a very uncomfortable position to have it placed, it takes a while to locate the right spot and get the needle threaded and lodged in just the right spot. Not a big deal, except this is all happening during contractions and you can't move if you get one (and you will) while they are doing their thing. To not move during a contraction in that phase in basically impossible...but if you do, you are risking serious damage to yourself because they are in the process of sticking a needle in your spine. Anyway...as I expressed a sigh of relief when they finished placing my IV, they did a "test dose" just as they realized that they were having blood come into the IV tube. Not a good sign as it meant they hit a blood vessel and what followed was possibly the least fun of my experience...until right after Connor was born (more about that later). As they did the test dose I immediately experienced dizziness, a hot flash and uncontrollable shaking...all while trying desperately not to move. It seemed like an hour before they decided to take out the needle and try again...while the doctor reassured me that it had happened twice to only one of his patients. Great!!! Fortunately, he can still say that! The second try was a success and the pain was almost immediately relieved. From that point on, I had to be told that I was having contractions. Love it!!! :)

As the contractions got stronger, they started affecting Connor. During the strong ones, his heart rate would drop and the nurses would show up in the room quickly to "stim" him. They determined that his cord was wrapped around his neck and that there is a process that they will continue through delivery to ensure it doesn't cut off his blood supply.

We finally got the go ahead to push around 4pm, after 5 1/2 hours of waiting. After another hour and a half, the doctor removed the cord from his neck and then Connor made his grand entrance. The room was happy as he let out his first cry and was taken to the heat lamp area for cleaning and testing. All of a sudden I heard them call for NICU and I knew something wasn't right and all I could see is that my baby boy was completely limp and that nurses were shaking their heads. The NICU nurses got there within seconds and about 5 minutes later, they all had sighs of relief. Connor had been "difficult to wake up" and his heart/breathing wasn't as good as it should have been. But they got him going and I soon had him in my arms. A little while later, Brad got to put his first diaper on him and they all took him down to the nursery to get measured, tested and cleaned. I had to stay in recovery for a while and watched American Idol.

A little while later, Brad, Mom, Dad and I met in my postpartum room and spent some quality time with Connor before sending him to the nursery around 12:30am for the night. I thought I'd do that the first night so I could get a good night's sleep and then keep him in the room the next night. But between feedings every couple of hours, the nurse checking in and another nurse coming to take vital signs every 4 hours, there was no time to sleep so I finally just decided to keep him in the room. Thank goodness for Boppy... I was able to hold him for hours! :)

No comments:

Sounds like...

  • AUGUST 2010
  • snuppaguckalus = Snuffleupagus
  • Gorgilla = Gorilla
  • Oppopus = Octopus